Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A HOSPITAL Visit

I tell you! It's one of those experiences of a lifetime, visiting a hospital, and when you start adding humor and practicality to this very emotional dilemma & chaos hysterically, you will seldom realize what was troubling you down deep inside as a more or less privileged one. 

It is one of such place likewise many others, where you are deemed to find a lot more similar cases like yourself, trying to live & rejuvenate, with smiles on there faces & underneath them - unheard screams of invisible pain making them uneasy - pouring out there distressful comfort and confronting to a more or less likewise. Some of them shall look really sad, when you see them, and you would wonder, what was it that had made them they way they were. A whole set of privileged & unprivileged human souls around you. fighting with there own misfit being in totality in there eagerness to recover miraculously from there illness & few suffering to live, trying to abide, adjust, reject,  compensate, compliment and substitute every bit of it.

I went to this hospital early morning & was back by afternoon. What I went through & through was something that could not be expressed in words. It took me all those hours to confront a great deal of misery & happiness around me, leaving me more thoughtful to the core.

With the music on my cellphone, earphones to my ear, as i sat down on the chair. It seemed as if I was not far from the world that was with me, within my reach - I cried, I smiled as I listened to ever conversation my ears could & couldn't help noticing every inch & breath of almost everything & everyone that surrounded me. I might have made unnoticeable faces sinking down deep to these thoughts of an emotional agony, looking around & relating myself to be on the same platform like everyone else, that surrounded me. The soul within me might have seen fellow souls & would have gladly found its re-union.

"What one eye, told the other silently, when thy saw thee saw thy"

Interestingly, at times you want to talk to a very few people, when you are at such places, and you certainly find someone or the other who would want to start a conversation with you. There are very few, those notice you, & you notice them back.

Meanwhile the people around me, on wheel chair's and on the stretcher, some of them sitting glued to the chair, as attendants with there family. -  There was this newly married couple with a pink fabric hand-bag with utilities & stuff in it, I couldn't peep into it to notice what all it had, since I was sitting too far form them, jokes apart, the pink had caught my attention I guess & the lady's hands were full of these red-bangles. The ones standing, inquiring about the CT-Scans, & the others seated, waiting for there turn for the appointment with the doctor or to have there tests done. A guy in his rolled denim capri and a t-shirt, with a cellphone in hand sitting with his dad, he seemed impatient. His dad told him, that he wanted to lie down on these chairs & he said you would not be in a position to rest on them or lie down, but his dad insisted and son made him lie down. I could see a stick that his dad carried along with him and a green color plastic bag. He kept asking his son, when are they going to call me for the treatment, and son said that it will take some like a half hour more, since there were other patients sitting, waiting for there turns who had come before them. He kept on asking his son again & again after few minutes. These newly married couple who seemed to be quite sweet & affectionate started having a conversation with this guy, asking him about the illness, procedure, and whether the treatment you got done went good, what was the procedure & how long did it took for the same, and whether the medications & the injections were up to the mark & later this person sitting next to me kept asking me whats the time, what are you here for etc. The hospital attendants laid an old lady on the stretcher with two of his family members sat next to her & she kept telling them I am having pain in my foot and so one of her family member got up and massaged her foot. Later she wanted to get up for a while, but she was told that she should keep lying down. A girl (teenager) came on a wheelchair, with an oxygen mask on her mouth, with one family member who continuously stood there non stop and addressed her with water that she wanted to drink, patting on her back, and moving his hand on her head, bending down on his knees to talk to her. They were far, so I couldn't make out what conversation they had.Then came this lady sitting on a wheelchair, along with three of her family members, but I was surprised to notice, that she got up from the chair when her name was called & I for a minute I had thought she could not walk. Well she might be making the best use of the wheel-chair to sit. (typical - punjabi family, I must say, the way they were dressed up and the way they talked, interesting though. Another lady with three attendants. who had a fractured leg, She kept on noticing and was bothered about everything happening around her. She noticed me more, & I wondered why? Finally it was now the number of this wheelchair lady and she was on the next roll to be addressed by the doctor. The married couple were also almost through with there tests and all. This guy who had his dad sleeping were about to go for the treatment too. Well I saw them moved to the other room waiting for there turn, as I passed them while leaving the hospital premise to this cafeteria adjoining the hospital area.

It was almost time to leave the hospital. I had a coffee and a mango juice & then, was called at the hospital for the doctor wanted to have a word, and there again I saw the son and the dad, sitting - It seemed like they were through with there tests, and waited for the reports or maybe to have a word with the doctor. For a minute I thought I should go to them and inquire if things were well, but I avoided & I passed them again finally bidding the hospital and the people and everything around.

"There were to many ladies, I tell you, & I wasn't a lady-killer at all".

Well I went the next day to collect the reports & I kept looking for the same faces that I saw the previous day, but there were none.There was a smile on my face, I was blushing thinking about the whole experience while being in the elevator. The receptionist ((Chinese as I presumed her to be) ) at the hospital was so like 'Kangana Ranawat' - I mean almost similar voice, similar dimple, similar lips, I mean it's not everyday that I keep staring a women & there I stood trying to analyse her. I happened to had no conversation with here at all though, Though I wanted to inquire about something, but to my bad luck, I was attended by a male nurse, who stood just next to her anyways...

Well I do not wish to visit a hospital for sure again! but by any chance if i had to, I might just have a story to tell.- Anonymous (Male, 34, Delhi

No comments:

Post a Comment