Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Sunday Morning - IT USED TO BE

Old English (language of the Anglo-Saxons) name for Sunday, Sunnandæg, meaning "day of the sun." (Sun in Old Norse) - "All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable day of the sun"). From being a Lord's day and the day of Christ's resurrection to becoming the first day of the week.

"Joie de vivre" - a French phrase expressing a cheerful enjoyment of life; 'an exultation of spirit' meaning "joy of living" - that's how a Sunday used to make me feel.

There were those days when I used to have; awesome Sunday, sleepy Sunday, dreamy Sunday, family Sunday, away from school Sunday, television-time Sunday, food from out Sunday, happy Sunday, playful Sunday, settling Sunday, accomplished Sunday, pleasureful Sunday, cuddle-some Sunday, magical Sunday, lively Sunday, sufficing Sunday, have a break-Sunday & so on & at the end of the day all set(in no mood though) to confront the 'Monday musings' Sunday.

"I so wish I became a Sunday myself & holidayed ever-after with absolutely no work to do"

I remember when I was kid, how in those days, would sit glued to the television spending hours watching favorite programs on the idiot box, i would sit so close, that i would be reminded by everyone to go back, else the eyes would get spoil. I would happily sit close to the television set, watching my favorite serials - spending those golden moments, having my breakfast along. That was the time when we happened to use VCR's & there was no cable by that time internet invention had not invaded homes for personal use, we only used to have computers in school, that too during our computer classes, when we used to remove our shoes & enter inside the lab with an air-conditioner on. But Sunday was a holiday & we had to spend time at home, away from school & that was one day, I guess every child my age would have felt a sigh of relief, away from torturous studies & school tantrums. Reminding me how I used to seldom bunk my classes at school at some point, & how dear the canteen of the school came to our rescue with all the little pocket money that we used to get, despite having our lunch boxes being packed & wrapped around, that we had in our school bag with us.

Last Sunday, Alexander's grandparents gave him a dollar—and he was rich. There were so many things that he could do with all of that money.! He could buy as much gum as he wanted, or even a walkie-talkie, if he saved enough. But somehow the money began to disappear. - "Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday" - Paperback – Picture Book, 30 Aug 1987

"Oh, you can kiss me on a Monday - a Monday, a Monday is very, very good or you can kiss me on a Tuesday - a Tuesday, a Tuesday, in fact I wish you would or you can kiss me on a Wednesday, a Thursday, a Friday and Saturday is best, But never, never on a Sunday - a Sunday, a Sunday, 'cause that's my day of rest. Most any day you can be my guest - any day you say, but my day of rest. Just name the day that you like the best. Only stay away on my day of rest. Oh, you can kiss me on a cool day, a hot day, a wet day, which everyone you choose or try to kiss me on a gray day, a May day, a pay day, and see if I refuse and if you make it on a bleak day, a freak day, a week day, why you can be my guest - But never, never on a Sunday. - from the movie "Never on Sunday (1960)"

As as I grew, I learned that Sunday grew with me - also changed with me, now it had become just an ordinary one, like any other day.The Sunday that it used to be (fun-day) has no more fun in its existence. Sunday - A day when the postman & the wont be troubling you & ringing your bells or bringing you any parcels & letters or taking away your trash. It was only the rag-picker, a junk man (scavenger - 'a scrap collector) who would give you money for things you did not wanted anymore.

These deeply instilled 'anxiety provoking' memoirs of the past, present & a worrying future  that had me sinking & rinsing through & through in a tankful thoughtful turbulence of the tiny-winy bit to shapes so gigantic high & low - These phenomenal phenomenons would hit me now & then & disappear into forgetfulness of this & that..The day slapping you & making you slip away from the most task-full of tasks turning you into unsorted sorts (a procrastinator). Fleeing away(ignoring) from the necessary, necessarily wouldn't make them disappear. Ignorance wasn't a necessity that only happened on a Sunday, but it happened on every day-each day. If at all - everyday was a Sunday - now a forgetful Sunday. I have grown-up, hopefully willing to adapt & attend the chorefull of tasks -everything that's now a necessity, but uncertainties hold me back even now & I feel like a child enjoying everyday as a Sunday - An intentionally forgetful yet food for thought Sunday. Nuisances of a busy life on six days a week, as it seems, but a day, one day that calms all down - a Sunday, A weekend day. What a relief.

Now it was 'a'- procrastinating Sunday, tumbling Sunday, fatigued Sunday, distracting Sunday, bony Sunday, dying Sunday, spying Sunday, unsettling Sunday, bitchily Sunday, conjuring Sunday, give-up Sunday, a wasteful Sunday, meddling Sunday, viscous Sunday, shitty Sunday, fucking Sunday, torturous Sunday, struggling Sunday.   

sigh! If not all days' I do wish I had one Sunday morning, (I so wish, everyday though) with a smiley face & no frowns, believing that everything was going to be alright, and I would breathe. "Measuring up & bundling - trying to find solace, becoming tolerant & then unpacking every layer that suffocated".

"If not something extraordinary, this at least should be, could be an ordinarily-flawless Sunday & never ever a vulnerable Someday" - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment