Monday, March 12, 2012

My 6 Year Old DAD



I lost my mom six months ago and I live with my dad and have no kids. My dad is much like a kid himself (my formula is over 60=6). He says the wrong things to the right people (colleagues) and then chuckles like a naughty boy.

It used to bother me for years and years until I realized that I ended u
p either apologizing to people or arguing with him after each episode. This made things awkward and unpleasant between us and with my colleagues who were victims for many years. I tried avoiding going out with him completely (which my sister is usually very good at)...but I think that may not be good for him.

At the same time, he needs some company, so I have to go along with him or sometimes take him along when my friends (who he is very popular with) invite him. For a long time I wondered whether there was any other way to handle the situation.

I finally had my Ah-ha! moment last evening, on our way back from a friend's place. It was the realization that I don't have to take him seriously. If he offends anyone in the process, its his thing to handle, not mine. I may as well enjoy the ride and get some laughs out of it myself!

This takes a lot of stress of me and I can actually get on with doing what I need to do - restructuring my life and live with a lighter mind after my mom is gone. - Anonymous, Female, Mumbai (India)

No comments:

Post a Comment